Saturday, September 27, 2008

Those Magic Ads






I spent my gilded youth upon
the floor with comic books,
with Superman and kryptonite
and Batman smashing crooks.
But even better than the clash
of titans in a pack
were the ads, those magic ads,
that shouted from the back.
Soldiers by the millions spilled
from boxes for combat --
X-ray glasses let you see
through skin and bone and fat.
A monkey in a teacup
could be bought for chicken feed.
Magic crystals in a bowl
that grew with lightning speed.
Sneezing powder, pepper gum,
exploding cigarettes;
supersonic, atom-bombing
cardboard Air Force jets!
I sent in all my quarters
ever-hoping for a coup
to make my pals so jealous
that their faces would turn blue.
But all I got back in return
broke down, could not abide;
even my poor monkey
in his teacup up and died.
And so my super heroes
were all working as mere shills
for plastic Japanese junk,
rubber vomit, other frills.
I learned a fool with money
will not keep it very long,
if he insists on heeding
Advertisement's siren song.
 


Want to do more with Windows Live? Learn "10 hidden secrets" from Jamie. Learn Now

Want to do more with Windows Live? Learn "10 hidden secrets" from Jamie. Learn Now

No comments: