Thursday, April 30, 2009

Why?


 



My mother had a saying whenever I would go
asking why, she would reply: Because I told you so!
It didn't matter, really, what my question was,
she was always ready to fire back: Because!
Why is there a bed-time and why go off to school,
and why do birds eat insects and why do dogs have drool?
Why can't I drink coffee or jump out of a tree
or smoke cigars like grandpa or use the fence to pee?
"Because I told you so" was all she had to say,
and that was usually all it took to quiet me all day.
Now that I have grown up, I still do question why,
but now I have no mother to give me her reply.
She's gone beyond the questions, the hopes and tears of earth,
to where the answers glisten like rainbows giving birth.
My children have no questions, at least there's none for me;
I wonder how I trampled their curiosity?
 


Rediscover Hotmail®: Get quick friend updates right in your inbox. Check it out.

Rediscover Hotmail®: Get quick friend updates right in your inbox. Check it out.

No comments: