Saturday, November 28, 2009

Collecting Shells

 

Upon the sea shore I do walk;

The gaudy shell of size I stalk.

I find them scattered by the waves,

Nothing now but calcium graves.

Seeking large and noble shell,

I dream of starting a cartel

That hoards the bivalve brightly dyed

And the giant mollusk's pride

To sell for profit, 'twould be bliss . . .

And if I found some ambergris!

While with these dreams I am beguiled

I spot a lone and quiet child

Who picks around the dimpled sands

With small, uncertain, gentle hands.

She finds an object finally,

So little that I cannot see.

So up to her I slowly go;

For what she has I have to know.

She gladly shows me in her palm

A tiny shell that's for her mom.

She scampers off and I am struck

By thoughts that leave me in a muck.

Delusions have me in their thrall;

Tomorrow has no gold at all.

The smallest good, when done today,

Exceeds the riches of Cathay.



Windows Live: Friends get your Flickr, Yelp, and Digg updates when they e-mail you.

No comments: