Friday, January 29, 2010

Waitin' Satan

I ran across the Devil on the beach the other day;

When asked about his fiendish work he had just this to say:

"I haven't raised a finger to tempt anyone of late;

People don't believe in me – they handle their own fate."

"Doctors killing babies in abortion clinics claim

They are saving women from a life of constant shame."

"Religious nuts will shoot them, saying God gave the command

While they're tried for murder looking pleasant and quite bland."

"Office holders everywhere betray the public trust;

People are so used to it they never show disgust."

"Children die of hunger while next door their neighbors thrive

And charity's considered just some hustle and some jive."

"I've laid off almost everyone down in the pits below;

The way that men are scheming, they don't need me in their show."

"Religious wars are blazing with the help of Taliban;

Daily they are adding dozens to their awful clan."

"Soldiers raping women, spreading AIDS across the globe;

Mother Nature choking in her fossil fuel-hot robe."

"None of this was done by me, but folk turn on each other;

I am standing idly by while conscience they all smother."

"Perhaps I need a hobby to employ my idle hours;

Instead of raising hell I'll try to raise some hothouse flowers."

"I'd sell the place at bargain rates if I could just devise

A way to keep it from becoming someone's big franchise."

With that he turned and walked away, the sand beneath his feet

Turning into shards of glass from his infernal heat.

Nothing could I say to him, since all of history

Shows that man has always been his own worst enemy.



Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft's powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now.

No comments: