Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Cemetery

I don't mind a stroll through cemeteries, not at all;

They're lush and green in summer and delightful in the Fall.

In winter they are bracing and provide much open space;

In springtime they abound in Mother Nature's gentle grace.

People do not walk their dogs across such hallowed ground,

So I never have to face down any rabid hound.

Thomas Gray was right to think they're peaceful and serene;

No one's hawking popcorn or cold soda with caffeine.

The lawns are tended carefully and maybe an old friend

Will have a splendid stone set up from money I did lend.

The people that you meet there do not come for any lark;

They do not act like nincompoops at some amusement park.

The weary world is distant and ambition is restrained,

Though death remains a stranger that I do not want explained.

I never dwell on what's beneath my footsteps as I trod;

Cuz I am with the living while they are with their God.

It's nice to have a place to go that's always circumspect;

A spot that's cared for tenderly when all the world is wrecked.

Just to set the record straight – it helps to be quite wary –

No matter how I look today my visit's temporary!



Windows Live: Friends get your Flickr, Yelp, and Digg updates when they e-mail you.

No comments: