Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Shaming of the Shrew

How to start explaining Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew?

A play within a play, with a misogynistic view.

A tinker starts the whole thing off; he's higher than a kite.

He thinks he is a duke attending some big opening night.

The play itself is all about a lady, name of Kate,

Who treats the men around her like a pail of stinking bait.

She must have had a childhood full of dominating males,

Cuz now when she is with them she is harder than brass nails.

The plot is very simple; there's a dowry at stake

For anyone who's 'man' enough her haughtiness to break.

Also there's Bianca, younger sister, kinda cute.

There are some Italian guys who always press their suit.

The father is a dim old bird, a toothless pantaloon.

(If I had all his money you would find me in Cancun!)

Kate must tie the knot before Bianca can be wed,

But who can duck the wicked words she hurls at every head?

Petruchio blows into town; he's looking for some loot,

And doesn't care if getting it makes him a raging brute.

He grabs poor Kate and marries her, although it's more like rape,

And then proceeds to bully her into the 'proper' shape.

The whole thing is a "comedy"; I use the word with care.

I guess five-hundred years ago this kind of stuff seemed fair.

It ends with Kate as mild as mint, as happy as a clam.

If I were that Petruchio, I'd take it on the lam.

Cuz I doubt if Kate remains as gentle as a Hobbit;

I kinda think she's reading up on old Lorena Bobbitt.



Keep your friends updated— even when you're not signed in.

No comments: