Friday, March 13, 2009

2 A.M.


 



Awake at 2 a.m. I see
all of life's futility;
famine.  War.  Disease.  Despair.
Uncertainty of Medicare.
Two-oh-one. The shadows creep.
What's this thing that they call sleep?
Counting sheep's a cartoon joke;
I count friends who have gone broke.
Two-oh-two.  Was that a scream
or the radiator's steam?
As I mature I wake up more;
sometimes on the bedroom floor.
Two-oh-three.  I guess I'll read.
(Can't remember if I peed.)
I regret that goat cheese blintz
that continues to make hints.
Two-oh-four.  I need routine
to escape this wakeful scene.
Maybe sleep is over-rated;
I won't know 'til I'm sedated.


Windows Live™ Groups: Create an online spot for your favorite groups to meet. Check it out.

Windows Live™ Groups: Create an online spot for your favorite groups to meet. Check it out.

No comments: