Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Bragging is a sin


Just wanted to share this enthusiastic email from a REAL, PROFESSIONAL, PAID, writer about my work; it gives me hope that some day I, too, may be in that position! 
 
 
> From: juliapreston@nytimes.com
> To: tork49@hotmail.com
> Subject: RE: READER MAIL: Julia Preston
> Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 13:26:22 -0400
>
> Dear Mr. Torkildson:
> I love this poem! This is the most lucid, succinct analysis of American
> immigration politics I have read in a long while. And you even made poetic
> art from the term hoi polloi.
> I would like to post the poem on nytimes.com so that readers of our
> immigration series can enjoy it as well. Would you mind if I did that?
> (Since you sent it in by the reader e-mail system, at the moment only I have
> had the distinct pleasure of reading it.) I'm seeking your agreement to post
> it signed with your name.
> Let me know. Thanks so much for writing,
> Julia Preston
>
>
> Julia Preston
> National Immigration Correspondent
> New York Times
> 620 Eighth Avenue
> Third floor
> New York, New York 10018-1405
>
> ----Original Message-----
> From: NYTimes.com [mailto:emailus@ms2.lga2.nytimes.com]
> Sent: Monday, March 23, 2009 10:08 AM
> To: juliapreston@nytimes.com
> Subject: READER MAIL: Julia Preston
>
>
>
> To: JULIA PRESTON
>
> You have received reader mail via nytimes.com. To respond to this reader,
> simply 'reply' to this message.
>
> READER'S NAME:
> tim torkildson
>
> READER'S E-MAIL:
> tork49@hotmail.com
>
> READER'S MESSAGE:
> The immigrant illegal is a bogeyman of sorts/haunting us at work, at play,
> and even in our courts/as economic crisis deepens all across the land/our
> fear of this poor fellow is continually fanned/by demogogues and red necks
> and the mindless hoi polloi/who claim they steal the coconut from every
> Almond Joy/overworked, exploited, and in fear of deportation/the immigrant
> illegal knows about humiliation/they do the dirty work that solid citizens
> abhor/when they're sick and crippled we just shove them out the door/oh
> immigrant illegal, I don't wish you any harm/neither do I find you have
> abundance of great charm/I wonder how YOUR country would react if I were
> there/without a proper visa, living off the thin blue air?/I don't think
> they would welcome me with open arms and smiles/instead they'd have me
> working behind bars on large rock piles/when I'm abroad I have to put up
> with so much red tape/why do you deserve all that malarkey to escape?
>
> ARTICLE REFERENCED (if any):
> A Slippery Place
>
>
>
>


Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Find out more.

No comments: