Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Stanley Hospital

When you were born
at the Stanley hospital
in North Dakota
there was something wrong
with the picture on the wall
in the anteroom of the birth chamber
where you were born.
I was there when you were born,
you know.
I was at every birth.
Someone says I wasn't.
She lies.

At your birth I walked up and down
the hallway with your mother,
who kept stooping over and groaning
but kept walking just the same.
We sure loved each other back then.
I can't love anybody else like that
ever again.

The picture on the wall
showed a boy on a hill
overlooking a town.
He was staring at the town,
his back to us.
So I guess he was thinking
he either loved or hated
that town and was going to
save it
or blow it up
someday.
Probably the same way you felt
about most of the places you
had to live as a kid.


But behind the boy was a fawn,
staring at the boy.
The boy was missing this
beautiful creature.
I didn't like that.
Life is sad enough
so why do artists
paint pictures of a boy
missing a beautiful thing
right behind him?

You get kind of superstitious
at the birth of one of your sons.
So I thought maybe there
was something symbolic
or prophetic about that
painting when you were born.


Look behind you, son --
there's something beautiful coming.

No comments: