Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Dollar Store

Life has led me down the path of primrose, and what's more

Has put me on the path that leads down to the dollar store.

Once I could wave credits cards around like they were pennants,

Now the Poor House beckons me as one of its chief tenants.

I had shirts of silk with little logos that bespoke

Of confidence that I would never see the day that I was broke.

But I must darn my socks today, unless cruel Fate relents;

And buy my thread and needle for just 99 sweet cents.

I see all of my neighbors at the dollar store, as well –

The tuna fish is 3 cans for a dollar – ain't that swell?

So I'm a low end customer – I say it with some pride;

Spam is very good if served with relish when it's fried.

Maybe I will splurge and buy a gallon of detergent –

People say that any day things will be resurgent. 

No, I'd better put that back and buy a tiny packet –

Otherwise, on my income, I don't think I can hack it.

Discretionary spending is a relic of past ages;

In my bosom now a miser whimpers and then rages.

Ah my, this makes me think of Grandma every now and then;

She spent her life just shopping at the Woolworth's 5 & 10. 

No comments: