Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Dark Matter

Dark Matter is the bĂȘte noir of the modern scientist;

Its mystery and glamour are too hard to much resist.

Is it sending signals, waves or particles, to Earth?

Does it have influence and a measurable girth?

Satellites can track it, or at least that is the claim

Of MIT professors seeking knowledge (and some fame.)

NASA's sending probes to seek out signs of this Dark Matter,

And like Clement Moore's poem it's producing quite a clatter;

Critics grumble it's a waste of money with no base

Of solid information – just a classic wild goose chase.

Considering I flunked out of my high school science courses,

I am still all for the exploration of strange forces

Out there in the heavens where the stars their secrets keep,

Loath to give us anything besides a blinkered peep.

I'd rather see my taxes go to research somewhat feral

Than have it gobbled up by a senator's pork barrel!

No comments: